Deisle & cooking oil

From: Darrell Ramsell (daram@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Oct 01 2005 - 14:08:30 PDT

Gents

I recently have started running a mixture deisle and filtered used cooking
oil with my HMMWV. I started my first mix with about a 80% - 20%
(diesle/cooking oil). I've gone through a tank already and I wantd to
report that the vehicle is running just fine. In fact my engine actually
seems to be running much nicer with the mix. By the way, I have a 6.2 GM
motor.

For filtering it I did it in 3 steps. The first sep I used a big metal
screen filter that fit on top of a 5 gal. I did this at the restraunt. I
filtered it by When I got home I filtered it two more time. First by warmed
up the oil then filtering it through a big pasta strainer with two layers of
paper towel sat on top on another 5 gal can. I reheated the oil one more
time then filtered it with a coffee filter. The result was a very clear
oil.

Before I did all of this though, I did talk to a tech from the GM deisle
engine division. I asked him if this could cause any potential problem and
if there were any prcautions that I should take. He pretty much told me
what many on this list have said and that is it should cause no problems as
long as it is filtered well. On the ratio mix he said that in hot weather
you can go as high as 45% cooking oil and about 25% for cold . I forgot to
ask him though about areas with snow though.

I'm currently doing an experiment with a mixture of 60%-40% (deisle/used
cooking oil) in jar. I have in it the refrigerator to see at what
temperature will the oil begin to solidify. I'll post me results later.

Darrell