Cooking oil and diesel

From: rees.a@btconnect.com
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 16:04:08 PDT

Hi Guys
Further to the previous post, my Landrover Discover (2.5L Turbo Diesel) has
been running on Cooking Oil for the last 40,000 Miles. The conversion is
straightforward, and saves me a packet load of money ! (I travel 125 Miles
day, to and from the office, and with UK Fuels prices the way they are,
means close to £70 a week in Diesel).

I fitted a conversion kit, comprising a Fuel Valve, Heat Exchanger, Filter
and additional tubing. The total cost was £200.

The cooking oil, I get from two local restaurants (who are delighted I come
to collect every Saturday morning, as it saves them money in its
disposal!). I filter the oil, and recover about 62L from the 65L I collect
each week. Once Filtered it goes into three jerry cans, and I take two in
the car each day.

The system works like this. Start engine on normal Diesel. Once warmed up
(it turns out to be 80 Degrees, Bjorn, but see later) I flip a switch which
then sends the Cooking oil into the injectors. As I get to about 2 or 300
yards from work, I flip back to normal diesel.

The reason for this is that apparently Cooking oil used "neat" and cold
will glaze the injectors. Thereby shortening there life. So far I have
40,000 trouble free miles running on cooking oil, with no signs of problems.

I have attached two links to web sites, giving more information, and parts
prices. However, I would suggest that anyone attempting this, reads the
book described on the Veggie Power website before running your engines on
cooking oil, as some types of engine cannot be made to run on it, without
significant conversion.

Having said that, a number of "kits" are becoming available (particularly
here in the UK) as the price of fuel goes through the roof, and some of the
pumps, filters etc are designed for the bigger diesel engines, typically
lorry engines.

http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/

http://www.bio-power.co.uk/

These are the most informative of the sites I know of.

Adrian Rees

http://mail2web.com/ .