RE: Need HELP, M1009 Starter problem today at lunch

From: Todd Goranson (todd.goranson@netcracker.com)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 10:43:46 PDT

Hey guy's, need some direction.

I drove my M1009 to work today and had no problems. At lunch (15 min's
ago) I went to start it after the "wait" light turned off and the my
starter went into this constant winding noise. Its like my truck was
running, but it really wasn't? The belts were all turning, the engine
was vibrating as though it wanted to run, but it wasn't really running?
Turning the key forward and back wouldn't stop it. Putting it in gear
wouldn't stall it? Taking the key out, didn't even stop it. By the
time I tracked down a wrench here at the office to disconnect the
battery cables, the wires were hot and the starter was smoking. Not
good I know.

But what happened? Did I cook my starter and other components? Was it
a fuel or glow plug issue? I never had any signs the starter was
failing, its been running perfect for months? Did my starter cause
this? Do you think I ruined additional components of the motor? Please
advise, I'm not diesel fluent and I'm learning about my truck as I go
along? Do you think if put the cables back on I'll be able to start it
and drive it home? Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. You can
email me directly or on this posting. It's 1:30 pm est. time, should I
be calling AAA? J

Thanks

MVPA 29136

Todd Goranson

Engineering

NetCracker Technology

95 Sawyer Road

Waltham, MA 02453

Mobile: 617-877-0426

Blackberry: 781-325-3406

Fax: 781-419-3301

Main: 781-419-3300

Email: todd.goranson@netcracker.com

The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.