starter problem updates / running now

From: Todd Goranson (todd.goranson@netcracker.com)
Date: Tue Oct 11 2005 - 10:41:00 PDT

Hello my friends,

Well here's my update 2 days late. If you remember I was having the
"stuck" starter problem with my m1009. And I've seen its gathered lots
of discussions to that and more topics. To bring you up to date, I'm in
the middle of compiling a copy of the numerous post's I received and
technical advise from others. I will post this in the near future so
you can see the advise others have recommended.

My parts did not arrive until Monday (so much for overnight express) but
that's ok, because the weather has been extremely uncooperative here in
MA.

Total time invested was just under 2 and 1/2 hours to: remove and
replace the original starter with a new starter from paramour surplus in
FL which is suppose to be updated and gear driven (200.00), replaced two
batteries which it came with, and I used two others I had purchased even
before I owned my truck expecting them to be removed when I arrived at
Fort Drum, but to my surprise, it had the originals and that's what I've
been driving on (place to purchase: Interstate Battery @ 112.00 each,
military authorized replacements, fit perfect) also replaced the front
shim/bracket which holds the starter to the block (5.00 from paramour),
replaced the starter relay inside the cab located on the NATO bracket
(cost from paramour 20.00)

First try, immediate contact, fired right up, no problems. On / off
test (5 times) still no problems. Will try to drive it home tonight?

Solution: Some recommended just changing my batteries, well its possible
that was the problem if a full 24 volts were not reaching the starter
from the relay, but I didn't have anyway to test them being I was broken
down at work

Some advised just replace the relay: very hard to find at the local
parts store, several didn't have it in stock, and I was a little
concerned knowing how it had failed, what damage was done to the
solenoid and starter from its melt down. Decided to replace it anyways.

Starter / Solenoid replacement: Purchased a new starter which meets or
exceeds specs from paramour in FL, was a little high price, but was
advised it was new and a quality replacement.

Total cost into the event, $260.00 dollars including shipping (excluding
batteries which had already been purchased previously) plus 2 1/2 hours
labor of my own, grease knuckles, and a few curse words when the
original starter fell down and crushed my fingers on the front drive
shaft.

Peace of mind knowing and hoping that this starter system, being
replaced top to bottom will last me through the winter with no problems,
priceless.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS keep tools in your truck, a fire
extinguisher and gloves.

Future mod's after it makes it home: JC Whitney has battery disconnects
for the battery which allow for a user to simply lift a handle and
disconnect the battery. About 19.00 each, I'm going to order two. I've
also decided to call paramour back and order one more relay to have in
the cab tool box. Obvious postings show they have a tendency to fuse
together and it could be a critical tool when your broke now and your
not in a position to be without one. I noticed that the RED positive
cable is somewhat burned from the extensive heat when the relay failed.
Although not necessary, I'm going to replace the entire cable (5ft) when
I get home to ensure good contacts.

So long for now, and thank you to everyone for their valuable opinions,
ideas, pictures and foresight! Be well, Todd

Todd Goranson
Engineering

NetCracker Technology
95 Sawyer Road
Waltham, MA 02453
Mobile: 617-877-0426
Blackberry: 781-325-3406
Fax: 781-419-3301
Main: 781-419-3300
Email: todd.goranson@netcracker.com

The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.