HMMWV door

From: Darrell Ramsell (daram@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 20:04:22 PDT

Gents

Last weekend I took an old armored up HMMWV door that wasn't really worth
saving to Reno to see how well it would stand up against real steel. My
buddies and I used 9mm, .45, 5.56 (Ball & AP) & a .308. Unfortunately the
door did not hold up very well. I did okay against pistol rounds but the
5.56 ball rounds went right through & the AP rounds left nice clean holes.
The armored glass did even worse. It seemd to have stopped the 9mm but not
the .45. Everything else went right through. I know the doord were
designed primarly to stop fragmentation but I was still hoping they would
stand up better against bullets. I understand now why they upgraded them.

I did take pictures so if anyone wants them I'll send them to you.

Darrell