CUCV Coolant Leak

From: Chris Brunner (cjbrunner@optonline.net)
Date: Tue Oct 25 2005 - 19:36:03 PDT

I'm trying to resolve a coolant leak I have in my M1028. Now granted, I
think I've fixed most of the leaks already, but this one is puzzling
me. I started with one in the heater core. I replaced the core and now
it seems fine. I had a puncture in the radiator. Pinched off the tube
of the radiator and now it's fine (dry to the touch). The top radiator
hose had issues dripping, tightened that, now that's try. Same with the
thermostat housing and crossover pipe. Tightened them as well.

Now, I'm finding coolant towards the bottom front end of the engine, by
the harmonic balancer and I can't figure out where it's coming from.
Besides the water pump (and associated bolts/weep holes), where else
could the coolant be dripping from - are there any other taps that I
could be missing? Where is the coolant sensor located?

As of right now I'm leaking away coolant at a pretty good rate - about
1/2 a gallon over the course of a running hour, and 1 gal over the
course of a night.

I don't think it's a head gasket because I don't see any bubbling coming
from the radiator, just a slight rise and lower in the level with the
vibration of the engine. For the past few weeks I have been filling the
overflow tank every morning, and it's always been sucked dry - seems
like it's only a leak under pressure but not vacume.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris