Detroit Diesel paint, Gama Goat filters, and rodent killage

From: Mark J. Blair, NF6X (nf6x@nf6x.net)
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 07:47:37 PST

Do any of y'all know where I can get some suitable paint for touching up
the light blue on my M561 Gama Goat's Detroit 3-53 engine? The local
auto parts shop didn't have any engine paints that matched it well. I'm
guessing that it's probably a standard color that was common on Detroits
of that era.

I'll probably want to replace all of my Goat's filters soon, too. If any
of y'all have favorite sources, have recommended cross-references, etc.,
I'd appreciate hearing about them.

After letting it set for a year or two, I'm getting my Gama Goat running
again. I live out in a rural area, surrounded by citrus groves and open
fields. Various rodents are very common out here, and they love to nest
inside vehicles. They make nests out of large sticks, insulation chewed
off the insides of the vehicles, dog turds, various greenery, etc. Once
they move in, the crap and pee all over everything, and fight off
boredom by chewing on any any convenient wires. They chewed up the
wiring in my Bobcat badly enough that it was immobilized until I made
repairs. Opening the hood on my Goat, I found that the space between the
fan and radiator is packed with sticks and greenery. It's gonna take me
hours to clean it out enough to even try cranking the engine. Luckily,
the only chewed wire I've seen so far is the spark plug wire for the air
box heater, and that's not critical here because it never gets cold
enough to need it.

So, can anybody suggest ways to keep them out of my vehicles and/or die
painful deaths? I cannot use poisons, because my dogs would be too
likely to catch and eat poisoned rats, nosh on their poisoned corpses,
etc. Eradicating the local rat population is an impossibility, because
there's just way too much land around here that's very hospitable to
them. Thus, I think my only remaining option is to convince them to live
somewhere other than inside my vehicles.

TIA

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/