RE: Protecting Yourself from Counterfit Checks

From: Frank Robertson (froberts@midsouth.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 07:30:13 PST

I have run into this selling on eBay. Even Postal Money orders are being
faked now. My bank treats them just like a check. They have to clear. Wal
Mart will not cash their own MOs. Try it. The Post office usually does not
have enough funds to cash large MOs. Even if the bank checks on available
funds when you carry it to your bank, it can still be bad by the time it
gets presented to their bank. I have had over 12,000.00 in bad checks last
year. I just do not ship till it clears. So no big lose to me other than
bank charges. Also as you say, a stop payment can be made on a cashiers
check, or bank draft. Check with your bank and see how they feel is the best
way to protect yourself, but cash is always good.