Veterans Day in Smalltown, Texas

From: Sarge (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 08:33:43 PST

Sarge here.
Well, we just put on a small MV display in a small town in Texas.
http://www.lonestar-mvpa.org/events/2005/05_vethutto.htm
It was between an Elementary School and a High School, on school grounds.
Besides a few military vehicles, we were wearing period correct uniforms and
carried period correct weapons.
We had a WWII display, Korea display, Vietnam display and a cold war (circa
1985) display.
Yes, we did have a very large number of weapons at school, actually
requested by the school authorities. (No ammo)
We showed the equipment to about 1400 children and gave several lectures
about life in the field.
We are all veterans, so the lectures were mostly personal experiences.
They were some light moments.
I was unpacking an MRE in front of 30 children, pulling each item out of the
packet like a magician pulling rabbits out of a hat. I always saved the
M&M's until last, asking at the same time; "What does a big tough soldier
want after a good meal"? Before I could pull the M&M's out, little Johnny
in the back raised his hand and shouted "Beer"! End of lecture.
Another little girl asked one of our hard man Marines, "Do you know my
Mommy's pregnant"? What do you say?
I don't know how schools view Veterans in other states, but Texas is pretty
damn good to us.
It was a privilege to meet all these children and the 48 hours of hard work
was well worth it.

Mandatory MV content:
Photo's show:
M813 pulling M105