Re: Window wheels for HMMWV

From: Mark J. Blair, NF6X (nf6x@nf6x.net)
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 18:03:25 PST

gpw1942@verizon.net wrote:
> Does anyone have any extra wheels (about the size of a dime) for the
> hard door windows to roll up and down in the tracks? I am looking for
> 12 of them. Also looking for two lug nuts.

If I recall correctly, those wheels are plastic discs with a blind hole
for the shaft. A through hole may work just as well; I'm not sure,
because it's been a while since I've had my hard door windows out of the
doors. I recall that it was a fairly hard plastic, maybe like Delrin. If
you don't find somebody who happens to have the real parts, then they
should be pretty easy to make if you or somebody that you know has an
engine lathe. Even one of those little imported mini-lathes should do
the job. McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) is an easy source for rods of
various kinds of plastics. Not a cheap source, but definitely an easy
source! :-)

I was concerned about the interior surfaces of my hard doors' ballistic
windows getting scuffed up, so I mounted a thin (about 0.032" thick,
IIRC) piece of clear polycarbonate on the inside of each window. I used
removable double-sided foam tape to fasten the perimeters of the
polycarbonate to the window frames. I figure that the thin pieces will
take all of the punishment, and then I can just replace those when
they're too scratched up. I got both the polycabonate and the removable
foam tape (which isn't anything like the usual foam tape that you would
find at the local hardware store) from McMaster-Carr.

I think that the lug nuts are pretty ordinary for 8-bolt Chevy hub
applications, and may be available from NAPA, or maybe even the usual
neighborhood auto parts chains.

The locking nuts used to fasten the wheel rim halves together aren't all
that special, either. McMaster-Carr sells flanged distorted-thread lock
nuts with black finish which look identical to the originals, and are
probably cheaper than they would be from any specialized Hummer or HMMWV
source. Let's see, if I rember correctly those rim bolts are 1/2"-13,
which would be part number 90949A033, and those are about $9 per pack of
25. I see that some guy is selling them on eBay right now for an opening
bid of about 4x that price, and McMaster-Carr isn't exactly known as the
low-price leader!

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/