Trucker Fuel Costs

From: Thomas M McHugh (tmmchugh@msn.com)
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 08:54:54 PST

It is interesting to hear pleasure drivers compare themselves to the
truckers. They can buy all their fuel at the cheapest states & pay no
penalties.

Think about fuel costs for most truckers. They drive & pay with a PayPal
or Credit Card account. The driver does not pay for the cost increases on
most trucks.

The independent Owner/Driver has to take jobs & obviously must charge more
per mile or contract to cover costs.

Complaining really has not value except to annoy everybody.

I worked for a trucking company as a new career, after retiring. It is one
major pain keeping track of the mileage driven in each state & purchasing
the correct amount of fuel & paying fuel taxes in those states. If figured
incorrectly, the company still must pay the fuel taxes plus losing the
extra fuel amount paid to other states where the fuel was purchased.

It is not a free ride for them.

Hang in there guys & keep on truckin. That way my OD Goodies will be
delivered & my M38A1 can keep on running.

Tom McHugh, NJ
1952 M38A1
M-416 Trailer
MVPA, MTA, Red Ball