Re: gas and fuel costs - long

From: grntrks@juno.com
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 18:15:01 PST

A lot depends on the officer. Technically, you are required by DOT reg.'s
to carry spare fuses and replacement lamps. She could have given you a
citation on the spot for not having the required spare lamp onboard. Many
times they will let you go if you can replace the lamp then and there and
show them the light works. The officer was correct about taking you out
of service for the inoperable light, but most will let it go if it gets
fixed immediatly.
There is a requirement for a "pre-trip" daily inspection, by the
driver/s. If your log book shows you did the daily inspection, and all
lights worked at that time, the possibility of failure during the trip
allows for some flexibility on the officers part. A lot depends on their
mood, also.
I have been pulled over for clearance lights out on camper on my pickup
and let go because I fixed them right there. And, yes they are checking
trucks much closer today than in the past.
That has been my experience - your results may vary,

Frank Cox
Vietnam 1966, USAF
MVPA 14530
1945 GMC 353 DUKW "DUKTAPE"