Re: Korean war casualty count and related

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 15:10:59 PST

Hi Glenn,

> For every combat infantryman it takes X number of rear area
> support personnel.

In WWII the US had between 3 and 4 non-combat capacity soldiers for
each division. The US military also had extremely large amounts of
manpower in non-divisional, non-combat elements. If they averaged
those guys in, the average days for each combat soldier at the front
would indeed be very low. I don't remember what the ratio was in
Vietnam, but it was likely closer to 2-3 support for every one combat.
Then of course, the notion of "combat" has changed significantly, and
is evolving even more as we speak due to the situation in Iraq and
Afghanistan.

WIA, KIA, non-combat "injuries" (like the large amounts during Winter
44/45 from illness) also lower that number greatly. Casualties in WWII
were very high, so the chances of surviving a day in combat was
statistically lower than other conflicts. Some combat units also spent
little time at the front because they were introduced only at the end
of the war. Only a fair number of units, but not as many as you think,
spent considerable uninterrupted time at the front. The US had the
luxury, more often than not, to rotate units out of the front (either
in part or in whole).

Of course if this was for the full war, averaged together, you're going
to get really skewed numbers because huge portions of the US' active
military force sat around waiting (either in the US, Great Britain, or
various staging areas in the PTO) for combat for extended lengths of
time.

Another thing to consider is that the largest amount of simultaneous
ops were conducted starting in the summer of 1944 and into the spring
of 1945. This counts as two calendar years, though in reality it was
about 10 months of elapsed time. This would mean 80 days out of 300,
which is actually a pretty large percentage considering this is an
average.

Anyway... I have no idea of that 40 days of combat per year figure is
accurate, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand without knowing more.
Which is why talking head statistics without any context like this one
are pretty much useless :-)

Steve