Another sprag issue?

From: Dave Sofio (dave.nfesc@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 05:24:37 PST

I've been trying to find/read/understand a bit about sprags but have not
been terribly successful in even finding the basic material.

When I bought it, I'd been told my 5-ton would give me a big surprise if
I didn't follow a magic ritual: after backing, for every X feet I'd just
backed up, I should drive X feet or more forwards, and do this in first
gear.

I found out what the surprise was, but not under those circumstances,
and it is a recurring thing: a huge kick in the ass. Typically it
happens as I back slowly to approach my steep uphill temporary
driveway; I sense a slight resistance that isn't just from the slope,
and then BAM: feels like something busted--and bad--or someone ran into
me. I also have had it happen as I drive away from having done some
back-and-forth maneuvers to get out of a tight spot. Since it is such
a violent thing, it does seem as if it should be avoided, but if there
is a way to avoid or stop it, I haven't a clue. Is this "kick"
damaging? Is it a sign of a problem? I don't have drive problems, that
I've noticed, in either forward or reverse.

Explanatory reading material on sprags would be appreciated!

Mahalo,

Dave