Re: Arizona, from another list

From: SGM PANTANO (TRUKS1@msn.com)
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 10:35:42 PST

This whole mystery of USS ARIZONA..is dumb ..and so off keel - it is
pathetic.
In August 1956 I was on ARIZONA...physically on her. The US NAVY at the time
was beginning to look into the starting of a USS ARIZONA fund to collect
monies from all US NAVY SAILORS and make a sort of memorial.. We -- onboard
USS MIDWAY..CVA 41..began a huge collection. From then on -- it was a more
and more funds to see what could be done...Part of the structure above water
was removed and dumped on land.. It is till there today. My suggestion was
to build a cofferdam around her.. remove the water.. and make a concrete
wall around her about 12 feet thick...build a deck that would have many
holes in it to see below..and cover it with a roof...Making a monument that
would last forever...and keep her (ARIZONA) dry and safe.. Very simple --
But the Admiral back then was a bone head... He suggested that the monument
be laid over ARIZONA.. Of course , he had all the stars and stripes.. and
his suggestion was taken to heart...
I believe my idea was the best ever..and can still be done today to save
ARIZONA forever...as a monument to those trapped in her hull...
She is not in deep water... It is shallow.. Our divers (with scuba gear)went
down there and retrieved a few items..some cartridges and a broken shell
extractor for the .50... I have it around here somewhere...
If you know who to write...suggest this solution... It will work..forever.
Gene