DOT trailers and RVs

From: Michael Howell (doctormv@frontiernet.net)
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 15:39:35 PST

Since stopping at Weigh stations with RV's came up again, I decided to
google the subject. The short version is that the Fed regs state RV
don't have to stop unless there is a sign stating that they do. These
are few and far between but there is one or two reportedly to exist.
Nebraska was listed as one of the states. I got all of this from
message boards. It is all hear say evidence and I can't prove any of
it.

What prompted me to post is the following link:

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55071

I also found another link to a Hot Rod magazine article about the DOT
cracking down on racers. I couldn't find that link today, if I turn it
up tonight I will post it. It was saying about the same thing as the
above link except it mentioned that if you write off your expenses or
show your winnings on your tax forms you have to stop at the scales etc.

It is my observation that change is in the air and what we have all
done in the past in pursuit of our hobby may soon be crossing the line.
  Unless ,of course, you only drive your MV and never trailer it or

ever sale any parts for it and never enter it in any shows (or races
;-)) with a prize.

Mike
Tishomingo, Mississippi