Re: DOT gonna get you

From: Michael Howell (doctormv@frontiernet.net)
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 12:08:47 PST

The main problem I see in all of this is the definition of commerce/
business. For the IRS you have to show a profit 3 out of five years.
I for one, can not show that with my MV hobby. The DOT definition
seems to be that it is commerce if you receive any compensation. So if
you pull your restored MV to a show and throw in a few of the take off
parts you replaced with NOS parts and sell them; doesn't that mean you
got compensation? I am pretty sure that it could include people like
me who have been collecting for 20 years and are taking a trailer load
of stuff that they have accumulated over the years that they want to
get rid of. I have been a vendor twice now. Does that mean every time
I make a trip to DRMO to pick up stuff that it is commerce now?

They are getting the racers because they are competing for a cash
prize. I don't know if they will ever get so bad as to claim a prize
trophy is compensation or not. I have never entered a MV in a show so
I don't even know what the prizes are if you win.

One of the things that caught my eye was that the article seemed to say
that the cut off was 10001 pounds gross combined weight. A 1/2 ton
pick up with a single axle trailer can cross that line. I know that
this would mean we are no longer talking about a Class A CDL. It
seemed to imply that you would need a log book medical card safety
devices etc though. Mike
Tishomingo, Mississippi