Re: Extra Lights on Deuces

From: kurt matis (krogerma@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 19:57:38 PST

I use Napa 12V lights on mine. I've got a pair mounted
on the each side of doors of my "deuce hardening kit"
I bought from John from MOFTA (Massively Overbuilt For
Typical Applications". It's the reinforced box thing
that they use for riot control and stuff.

I've also got the same arrangement mounted on the
fenders for plow lights on a tall bracket on either
side, although I'm changing the mounting this spring.
I'm going to try to put them on the front of the cab
roof. We'll see how that goes.

I made a circuit breaker panel and mounted it on the
dash where the data plate is and moved the data plate
down to the middle of the glove box door. Everywhere
else I tried was a pain to reach. I might move it
again, since I am going to run the AUX lights on
12volts on the dual-voltage alternator I purchased
from Gene in Colorado. It's just easier that way and I
also needed the 12 volt source for jump starting my
other vehicles with the deuce.

Yes, I know, none of this is original, but neither are
lights mounted in these extra places and I can take

them off again anyway. And anyway I can if I want....
I got criticized at a local MV show I brought the
truck out to here in the Albany NY area - two guys
commented that the hardening kit wasn't Army issue. I
gave them the part number and told them to go check
it....

Anyway, I don't remember the NAPA part number of the
lights, but they are little lights that you see on a
skidsteer or other farm equipment. The swivels are not
too good. I bought some of the little universal swivel
vice thingies that they sell at Saturn Surplus for
$10.00. They let you swivel the lights all around and
then lock them with a lever. The one I mounted on the
truck already got rusty - I took it off and I will
paint it - my standard paint system is Dupont Corlar
topcoated with Imron dull finish clear. You can mix
the different Corlar greens to get whatever version of
Olive Drab you want. Anybody wants to know the
recipie, ask. I'll go out and read the numbers off the
cans.

Ted Hils from Ted's trucks and stuff might still have
some dual voltage alternators left if you want to do
the 12V thing. It's a little bit of a pain to have to
be mounting two lights together all the time for a
series arrangement. I resent the prices for 24V stuff.
I know it's because they probably don't make enough of
them to get the cost down, but whatever the reason, I
don't like buying 24V stuff. So I switched over to 12V
for the aux lights. Or, I should say I've got the 12V
system working and will soon repower the aux lights
with it.

Well, I've babbled enough, hope it might have been
helpful to somebody.

Happy Holidays:

-Kurt Matis
Troy NY