Oh, no - another CDL question!

From: mark@ehle.homelinux.org
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 14:43:10 PST

Hi, folks -

Not to bead a dead horse, but here is another CDL question, but of a different
flavor. I as for your guidance because some of you are the only truckers I
know.

I just bought a 1986 Ford CL8000 - see http://ehle.homelinux.org/CL8000.jpg
- and -
http://ehle.homelinux.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=5583

It has air brakes. I plan on putting a short flatbed on it (probably a shortened
M35 bed) and using it like a pickup and maybe pull an RV 5th wheel trailer -
totally non-commercial. I love my deuce+.5, but I need something that is more
all-weather friendly, and I have always been partial to Ford cabovers.

My questions are:

1) Will I need a CDL?
2) If so, no problem, but can I use this truck to test for my CDL with?

And -

It has a Detroit Diesel 8.2 liter engine. On the web, I have read all sorts of
good and bad stories about it. Do any of you have any experience with this
engine?

MV Content - because of this purchase, I wife might force me to sell my M35.
WAAHH!

Thanks -

Mark
1970 AMG M35A2 (but maybe not for long)