Re: M38A1 headaches

From: Buzz (muttman@charter.net)
Date: Sat Dec 17 2005 - 10:57:18 PST

TJ,
I doubt that you can over voltage a ignition coil, so check your battery voltage
with a DVM with the engine running, it should be about 28.7 V +/- a few tenths.
Back in the little used portion of my memory I think that I read that the coil
and the condenser were (tuned) to work together to reduce the kick back voltage
from the hi voltage side of the coil. So MAYBE a new condenser MIGHT help.
My next suggestion would be to find a shop that can put your engine on a scope
to see what is going on.
If you go to a shop you should probably have the adapter so that they can
connect to the coil inside the distributor.

Buzz

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 05:16:08 +0000, you wrote:

>Guys,
>
>My M38A1 seems to be going through coils like I change my underpants, which is
regularly. I started with an out-of-country manufactured repro coil which
overheated and died. You might recall my posts asking about venting the
housing. Heard some list chatter suggesting those coils were defective from the
gittyup, so I replaced it with an NOS coil and I am experiencing similar
difficulties. I have wired it correctly and the polarity is correct. Is there
a possibility too much voltage is going to the coil somehow? Despite it's age,
the jeep runs like a champ but for this effing coil problem! If I thought it
would be cheaper to change everything over to 12V, I'd do it because the jeep is
a hoot to drive, despite its outwardly looking like a total turd. If you have
done this with your M38A1 or have experienced similar problems, I'd like to hear
from you.