More Trailer Fun...

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Dec 19 2005 - 09:35:40 PST

Ok, so this trailer I bought, it has a 2.5" Lunette Eye on it. Our
MVs need 3" Lunette Eyes. I was originally going to just buy a new 3"
eye plate (four bolt mounting thing) and swap them out. It turns out
that the ones that are sold have a 4.5" hole spacing. This trailer
has a 5" Hole Spacing! So, I'm going to have a local welding shop
torch off the old 2.5" eye and weld on a new 3" eye. I looked at
adding a channel to the nose plate of the trailer, but that involves
a reduction in the overall strength of the trailer with regards to
vertical loads. It seems that 4 bolt eye plates are far stronger than
2 bolt channel eyes by a significant amount for a given lunette eye
size. (1-2000 lbs vs 3-5000 lbs vertical loads)

Does this plan sound reasonable vs trying to replace the whole nose
plate on the front of the trailer so it works with conventional 4
1/2" 4 hole eye plates?

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -