Re: Seaplane crash off Miami?

From: Dick (rertman@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 07:12:51 PST

This particular Grumman Mallard probably was built 58 years ago.
It was originally built with a pair of air-cooled piston radial engines.
Many older piston airplanes have been converted to turboprop
power under a specific Supplemental Type Certificate (STC)
issued by the FAA after the person/company doing the change
has turned in all engineering, manufacturing, ground test and flight
test data, then demonstrated the finished product in flight to the FAA.

Similar STC's have been issued for aircraft such as the venerable
DC-3, Beech 18, Bell H-13 helicopter (turboshaft engine instead of
turboprop engine), Ryan Navion and a bunch of others.

Getting an STC approved and issued by the FAA is almost as
complicated as designing a new airplane and getting it Type
Certificated by the FAA.

Dick