Sonny's rig

From: timothy.smith1@att.net
Date: Mon Dec 26 2005 - 20:40:24 PST

Well, I can see the confusion. And frankly, it doesn't look like an RV to ME (though I learned a long time ago that looks can be deceiving). Looks quite nice, though.

At a glance, and from this angle, the flank makes the truck look like one of those support vehicles you see on remote movie sets. Yeh, we see a lot of weird vehicles out there. In short, it looks TOO business-like for an RV. Compounding your problem, Sonny, is the logo on the door, which ALSO looks too business-like for an RV. It says, something-something on the top, and "By Sonny Heath" and what looks like a city and state below that. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but my first impression is that it looks...well....TOO BUSINESS LIKE!

Don't know what to tell ya, Hoss...except you are going to be visited by a curious DOT guy from time to time while you're in that rig, particularly when you are pulling the trailer. And as you all understand, even a guy in a traditional RV, with or without trailer, MIGHT find himself under the FMCSR's depending upon what he's doing in it.

But fellas, understand that we DO occasionally stop a guy who, like Sonny, is just out there doing his own thing. Hopefully, that gets sorted out rather quickly on the initial interview with a few probing questions and then it's bye-bye have a nice day. Some DOT guys are good talkers and have their interview techniques down pat and they get right to the meat of the thing. Others aren't as smooth and they take the long way around the barn before making up their minds. And still OTHERS are inexperienced and they're like a hog on ice no matter WHAT they do. Well, we all gotta crawl before we walk.

Happy New Year, you pirates!
Regards,
TJ Smith