CDL and commerce summery

From: Michael Howell (doctormv@frontiernet.net)
Date: Sun Jan 01 2006 - 11:42:29 PST

Since I started this, I thought I would post a summery of what I learned.

There has been a change, not in the law, but in the rules. Now
vehicles involved in commerce can be put out of service for a lot more
things than they used to as of just last year to including not having a
log book. This includes anything were the truck OR trailer has a GVW
of over 10000 pounds for interstate commerce. This has nothing to do
with a CDL. Since the trailer I use to go to shows has a GVW of 7000 I
just need to be sure I don't buy a new pickup over 10000 and I don't
have to worry about it for now.

If you do cross the weight line and get pulled over, it will be left up
to the officer to interview you and decide if HE thinks you are in
commerce. Since I couldn't convince half of you that I am not, I will
just stay under the 10000 weight line. I still contend that the bar is
steadily being lowered, if not in the law itself, then in the rules and
enforcement of the existing law. I was told directly by a MS DOT
officer 5 years ago that they weren't interested in anything except 18
wheelers. Now they are watching a lot of other things. Other states
are a lot stricter than MS. I learned more this time than in the
previous times this has been discussed, but I am afraid this will have
to be thrashed out again in the future as things evolve.

TJ, if you see any glaring errors please correct them.

Mike
Tishomingo, Mississippi