CUCV Speedometer Went Wacko

From: Brian Placzankis (plaz@mac.com)
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 18:21:28 PST

Howdy folks,

I'm not sure what caused this to happen. My speedometer on my M1008
has totally gone wacky. It is more or less stuck in the region on
the bottom in the areas ranging from about the 5:00 position and can
max out at about the 7:00 position depending on the speed. It was
fine when I left for work this morning. All I can think of is that
it must have took a dive below the bottom <5 MPH when I was backing
out of my parking spot as it has always been prone to do in reverse
and then just decided to stay there. The odometer portion still
functions normally. This is my second speedometer. The first one I
had when I got the truck was goofy as well but it would go completely
wild (herky-jerky) at the top end of the scale. I'm kind of bummed
out about this because it took me a while (opening it up and working
the odometer components) to advance the odometer mileage up to the
same distance as the first one.

I think it is just the speedometer portion of the gage going bad and
not the cable or the gear in the tranny since the odometer continues
to operate normally.

Any thoughts? How reliable has everyone else's CUCV speedos been?

plaz
1985 M1008 CUCV