Re: Question about Army medallion

From: bolton8@juno.com
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 19:27:14 PST

 "J. L." writes:
> Got a lil military question for ya'l. ----- It's from the 1st SF
group ABN - 3d SF Bn.
> It has a special number inscribed on it... ODA193.
>
> He says they use this ODA number to see who buys at the bar.
>My question is what does O-D-A mean and what is the significance of the
3 digit
> number?
        What you have Jack is called a 'Challenge Coin'. Mine is from the 19th
SF Gp ABN -- 1st SF Bn -- ODA34 Operational Detachment A-team 34

        When I was in SF in the early to mid-70's when someone produced a coin
at the bar, the last one to show his, or whomever did not have one,
bought the next round. Even after returning to civilian life it would
behoove you to carry your coin when going to a local watering hole. You
never knew when someone would casually place his on the bar and quietly
look around.

        I'm pretty sure it was the SF Gps and/or Rangers that started the
Challenge Coin concept in the late 60's. But now-a-days you can buy 'em
mail order for any military unit.

LANCE
MVPA 22125