Re: Airport security (was Kansas Ferret) Ft Knox

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@atlanticbb.net)
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 06:37:51 PST

Hello Glenn and the others,

You're right about Germany, they are extremely careful with incoming and
outgoing flights but that has been going on for many years. My
understanding is that the Germans really started taking airport security
seriously, very seriously just after the airliner was blown up over
Lockerbie (sp?). I know they were extremely good when we had a layover in
Frankfort a few years back.

My wife's nephew flew from Warsaw this past summer. No check in Warsaw. He
had a connecting flight at Copenhagen, again no inspection. He arrived at
Dulles and they checked his passport asked him some questions that he could
not answer due to the language barrier and they sent him through. His
carryon bags were never checked.

Upon leaving from Dulles he had to take off his shoes and belt, empty all of
his pockets and his carryon bags. Then, once on the plane, he had no more
checks from Customs here or overseas.

I just think it is interesting at the least to only be checking for
dangerous fingernail clippers going one way. I personally am not so worried
about the activities of folks leaving the country as the ones arriving.

Bill.