non-Americans serving in our Armed Forces

From: Dave J (sd0044@gwtc.net)
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 11:08:22 PST

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sonny Heath"
> I didn't realize one had to be an American to serve in the American Armed
> Forces.
Hi Sonny,
One doesn't.
However currently one does to get a security clearance - even at the
relatively low level of "secret".

This can lead to some interesting concept and conflicts.

Desert Shield, August 1990, I deployed to the Doha Airport, Emirate of Qatar
with a pretty big bunch of other folks to help set up a functional base and
supply the needs of an F-16 fighter wing that was gonna be operating out of
there. Now the fact that "we" were in ~Qatar~ at all was classified
"Secret" and we were not to discuss who we were (what organization/unit)

with ~anybody~ (including our families) not so cleared.

OK, No big deal -- As you all prolly know, this is a standard practice in
wartime.

Here's the rub -- one of my troops was a Austrian citizen serving in the
US Air Force while clocking down the required time to get her US
citizenship. She of course, not being a US Citizen, had absolutely no
security clearance. So theoretically she also couldn't know that she was
TDY to our unit and in Qatar ...... Duh !!

So would you believe that of all the people there, hers was the only set of
orders ~that I knew of~ whereon her "personal copies" that had "unit of
assignment" and "duty location" blanked out. Even though we had big signs

all over the area "Welcome to the XXX Tactical Fighter Wing (Provisional)"
and "Welcome to Doha Air Base" all over the area. (BTW, the Iraqi Embassy to
Qatar is line of sight with the Airfield - we could observe them - observing
us with binoculars from their embassy's rooftop.).

Sometimes our rules, or the implementation of same, are sooooooooooo stupid.

BTW, she worked harder and smarter than most of the troops in my section of
the unit
and stood up as well as any during our daily early morning incoming scud
attacks during the "storm" portion of the operation. I hope she got her
citizenship with honors. She earned it.

Dave J