Re: non-Americans serving in our Armed Forces

From: Jeff Hain-Matson (flmv@flmv.net)
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 05:43:35 PST

Lance wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: <bolton8@juno.com>
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 9:58 PM
Subject: [MV] non-Americans serving in our Armed Forces

> During the Vietnam War between 5,000 to 7,000 Canadian's crossed the
> border into the United States to join the US Army. We came in legally,
> obtaining a Green Card.

> The Canadian Legion will not accept them as members. The Legion
> considers them "mercenaries, because they fought under a foreign flag".

Meanwhile, at the start of WWII (1939) my wifes father left Detriot, went to
Toronto to enlist. The Canadian Airborne recruiter was closed so he went up
the street to the 48th Highlanders. Said they had a nice looking uniform!!!
He did Sicily, the bloody boot (Italy), Holland, and Germany. He came home
to the US and was inelligable for the GI bill, did draw a pitance of a
payment from Canada, and was inelligiable for all US veterans clubs etc.,
becase on the southern side of the Canadian border he, like you was a
"mercenarie, because he fought under a foreign flag". Imagine that!!!!!

--
JEFF HAIN-MATSON
FRONT LINE MILITARY VEHICLES      WEB SITE:  http://www.flmv.net/