Fwd: Anyone deal with an ebay seller named "us-military-man" ?

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Jan 26 2006 - 07:34:44 PST

Hi Dave,

> Although this might be wrong, is there anything in Ebayland that says
> that this is any type of violation. This happens quite a bit on Ebay.

Yup, it is against eBay rules. First, it is covered under there
general policy of not hosting any materials with copyright violations.
If you took the picture and posted it, you have the copyright. Anybody
else using it is therefore in violation of this overarching policy.
However, eBay specifically prohibits lifting pictures and/or
descriptions from other eBayers. In the complaints section there is a
specific link for notifying eBay of such violations. I have found that
these sorts of violations are responded to fairly quickly by eBay.
Where you get into choppy waters is when things are less clear, like
shills and unethical conduct. These things can be more difficult to
prove so eBay appears to follow a policy of "if it ain't obvious to us,
we ain't doing nuttin".

Of course many of us have experienced this sort of response as well as
auctions (either our own or ones we are bidding on) being taken down
for either arbitrary or incorrectly applied legal issues. For example,
I had a German police uniform yanked two weeks ago because of the rank
on it. Yet on German eBay if you don't see a hundred of these for sale
at one time you aren't actually on German eBay! Heck, I just saw one
guy sell a BOX of ranks (estimated to be over 300 pairs), so if someone
wants to impersonate a German police officer, I don't think they'd by
my uniform from the US when they can get boxes of the stuff locally.
In fact, they could just get one from a German police officer, which is
where mine came from. Sadly, like so many eBayers on this list, my
logic fell on deaf ears.

Still, for all its negatives I love it. I sell tons of stuff without
problems and buy just about as much (OK, significantly more <g>). Got
some good money for stuff I otherwise would have put in the dumpster
too. Just balancing out the bad comments with the positive :-)

Steve