Alternator problem

From: Darrell Ramsell (daram@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 00:15:05 PST

Gents

I was driving my HMMWV the other night. When got about a 100 feet from my
driveway when I heard a big klunk and a thump followed shortly by a
screeching noise. After an inspection I found that my pulley wheel on the
alternator had snapped off the shaft and that one of the belts had wrapped
around the shaft between the fan and the center top pulley. I found the
pulley wheel the next morning in front of the neighbor's house. Fortunately
some one local has another alternator so I'm okay there. But since the belt
wrapped around the fan shaft should I perform some type of inspection?
Everything appears to look okay but I'm no expert mechanic. Should I be
checking other parts for potential damage or be giving the fan shaft a
closer look? Your advice would be appreciated.

Darrell