Re: New to list

From: Dan Maguire (dmaguire@mchsi.com)
Date: Sun Jan 29 2006 - 15:21:33 PST

Hi Marty,

I think that you are in the right place. There are a bunch of
knowledgeable folks here - most much more knowledgeable than me. My
load is a similar weight - an 8 ton military vehicle. I ended up
putting it on a 9-ton tag trailer and pulling it with a 5 ton wrecker.
I can barely feel it back there - starting or stopping. On the road, I
can't feel it back there. I have to look back every so often to make
sure that it isn't dragging upside down.

I considered a military 2 1/2 ton truck. It could pull it fine, but I
was concerned about stopping. I suspect that you would want to give the
brakes a once-over or get a later issue that has better brakes. I never
looked into it closely.

I've seen people pull similar loads with something as small as a 1 ton
dually, but it always seems like the load might become the lead at any
second.

Anyway, I'd be interested in know if the brake concern was reasonable or
it I was a complete FOS panty-waist. List, here's your chance - take
your shots. I'm askin' for it.

But to answer your question in summary, Marty... either a diesel burning
deuce or 5 ton (mine's gas) with braking being a main point.

BR,
Dan
Auburn, IN