Re: Brake Fluid Indentification Issue

From: Convoy Magazine (convoymagazine@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 11 2006 - 06:07:50 PST

Gawd seem to remember discussions on this on the Cdn
HMV forum.

Personally, I've always drained brake/clutch fluid
from all vehicles (new and old- cars/ trucks/ motos)
and replaced with synthetic.

When synthetic first came out, lo these many years,
there was some problem with rubber deterioation on
older vehicles. This was taken care of in the
synthetic formula and i've never heard of problems
since.

I personally have never had a problem with synthetic
in any vehicle including those with very old rubber
components. The advantage of synth is that it is not
hygroscopic (doesn't absorb moisture) unlike regular
fluid. Most of our "toys" sit for extended periods of
time and the moisture in regular fluid will collect
into miniscule droplets which can and do rust the
inside of brake cylinders.

Note I believe the north Am designation of Dot-5 and
the Euro do not mean the same thing. I think dot-5 in
europe is a high rated regular fluid?????

cheers
Monty

--- Robin Craig <therobincraig@hotmail.com> wrote:

---------------------------------
From time to time we acquire "new to us" vehicles that
come sometimes from the military untouched and others
times from others who have previously enjoyed them. We
often encounter POSTs, ie Previous Owner Stupid Tricks
or put another way stupid things done un-knowingly.

I have often wondered, if anyone has come up with a
bullet proof identification kit for determining what
rake fluid has been used on a vehicle (regardless of
what the manufacturer prescribed). is there some kind
of litmus test one can do?

Failing a solution I am of the opinion of draining
every system, flushing it out and replacing it with
DOT 5. I say DOT 5 as in tests performed by a
knowledgeable friend he has yet to come up against any
issues resulting from its use in brake or clutch
systems even on equipment going back to 1948 vintage.
Nothing, not a problem, ever.

Sensible replies on a postcard please...... off line
is good too.

Robin Craig

===Mil-Veh is a member-supported mailing list===To
unsubscribe, send e-mail to To reach a human, contact
Visit the searchable archives at
http://www.mil-veh.org/archives/