Re: What do you think about Land Rovers as MV's

From: Chance Wolf (bigbadwolf@telus.net)
Date: Wed Feb 15 2006 - 21:21:36 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Lee" <milveh@dslextreme.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 6:16 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] What do you think about Land Rovers as MV's

> Anyone have any comments, good or bad, about ex-military Land Rovers? I
> thought one might be nice to own, but have zero experience with them.

At work here we have petrol 109 Series IIIs, a couple of 110 Diesels, and
one Series II 88. The 88 has some pretty serious frame corrosion problems
behind the rear wheels which looks as though it's spreading to the nastier
areas. The frames on the others look *seriously* underbuilt/flimsy when
compared to anything North American I've ever worked on, but for whatever
reason corrosion on those doesn't seem to be much of a problem (yet.) I
always have problems with brakes and clutches and carburettors on the 109
Series III petrol units whenever they sit for any length of time and I dread
every time a movie wants one of those because I know a great deal of pushing
and swearing will be involved to 'wake them up'. The 110 Diesels *always*
start, and have the most basic (and reliable) glow plug system I've ever
seen - utterly manual - and utterly dependable. You really need a good
battery though, and if the starter is old and tired it will draw far too
much current during the start operation and wind too slowly, causing a
really nifty smell and wires you could cook a caterpillar on. Both of our
diesel starters had to be changed. One melted down rather spectacularly
too.

My big problem with the Land Rovers is they seem fussy and fiddly in
comparision to N. Am stuff in a lot of ways, or you find yourself asking
questions like "why the HELL did they put that there?", or "what part of
Britain grows mechanics with hands *that* small?" Also, I imagine it's all
personal preference and driving style, but I find the driver's compartment
very, very cramped (6 ft. 185 lbs), and irritatingly I find my elbow
whacking the side window on too many turns because in everything else I've
driven there's: a) a lot of room there; and b) you can roll down the window
which, on the Landy - you cannot. You can *slide* the window to the front
or rear however (and end up with a small aperture), or throw in the towel
entirely and unbolt the entire window assembly to run with a half-door.
You can get used to the window-whackity-whack trip if you drive it
regularly, but I still find it very annoying each time I get in it, and
loudly curse the working population of Solihull and all their pets.

As to performance, I've used the 110D's to pull out HMMWVs when they get
stuck. Really. It was a lot better in snow than the HMMWV the one time I
managed to do a bit of a comparison on the way back from set too. In my
opinion, at any rate. Also, as has been mentioned, the electrics are
abysmal.

Q: "How you flash your lights in a Land Rover?"
A: "Hit a bump!"