Re: Stocking up on Supplies

From: Michael Howell (doctormv@frontiernet.net)
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 21:58:51 PST

There was a period of time that I would pick up most anything I found
for the MV's I was interested in. I still have a lot in storage
because my interest has changed or I haven't needed it or got around to
it. Sometimes I wonder if I can retire on what I can make on eBay with
some of it. But then, my first interest was in M135's which don't seem
to be increasing in price like other things. Still, the reason I got
interested in MV's instead of classic cars was that you could get parts
from surplus dealers cheep and they seemed to be plentiful. That seems
to have changed. In the past you could get stuff for our MV's from
general surplus dealers for 10 to 20 cents on the dollar. They would
get a big lot of something and when it was sold they probably would
never have it again. Now, most of the stuff seems to be going to
specialized dealers like Memphis Eq who charge what it is worth but
will have what you need when you need it.

So I guess I would recommend that if you find something at a bargain
get it, but if you are getting it from a MV dealer I would only buy
what I intend to use soon. What you save on a better price will be
offset by what you loose on all the stuff you never get around to
using. One thing I learned was to put a little note about what you
paid and what it fits with the part. As you get older you will forget
or your heirs will have to deal with it if something suddenly happens
to you. There is no telling how much stuff is hauled to the dump by
heirs who don't know what to do with it.

Mike
Tishomingo, Mississippi