Re: Mistery .30 M1 ammo box

From: SGM PANTANO (TRUKS1@msn.com)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2006 - 13:15:08 PST

The can in question is the US Army machine gun can from "early" WW2.. It is
NOT for the Garand..nor does it have anything at all to do with an M1 in any
way.
The early Tanks had brackets to hold this can for the ammo feed system..the
little clip assembly on the side was for hanging the can... Simple
operation..and worked.
The "Post War" uses of the can were endless. I have had many cans filled
with MATCH .30 ammo -- in 8 round clips..and the outside of the cans is
stenciled as such..
They are not that uncommon..I have ?? about 8 or 10 of them here. The can
before it was wood....!! This odd can was our first mass produced .30 can.

There were odd ball .50 metal cans before this...with a canvas carrying
strap - instead of a metal handle. They opened from the side..not the end.
Then they went to another metal can with a metal carry handle....opened from

the side also. Then they went to the .50 can you all know --which is still
in production today.. The wooden boxes for the .30 mg's had a leather
carrying strap.
Geeeezz..all I know about cans... I should be a plumber.:-)
Gene