Re: Military ax?

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 18:05:02 PST

As a bit (pun intended) of an axe collector, I have several axes - some
  quote old. True Temper really never made a really high quality axe
IMO. They were axes for the masses, forged quickly and assembled even
more quickly. Plumb on the otherhand made some really nice axes and
hammers for that matter. I have a Plumb axe that is very close to the
Dayton pattern and it has the early style slim handle that had to be
made out of choice hickory to last. It is either a 3 1/2 or 4 lb axe.
  I found it in an antique store with the original handle - it was very
cheap - like $10 as I recall - a no brainer purchase.

For the wood splitters out there - if you haven't tried a Fiskars
splitting axe - you should.

Dave