6.2 diesel help needed

From: Jim Zehr (jimm1009@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 04:40:06 PST

Hello fellow MVers,
I have a problem with a newly transplanted 6.2 in my
M1009.
The formerly installed (now removed) engine had
nozzles and fuel pump that were overhauled by a
reputable company about five years ago (40,000 miltes)
(with military injection pressure too) but the engine
had a cracked block. The old engine did not have any
smoke out either tail pipe with the fuel system now in
use.
I'm setting the stage for the following information to
be given. As I said, I transplanted an engine removed
from an M998 for the 6.5 upgrade. I installed the
engine and swapped over the pulleys, sensors, ect. to
make it usable in my truck. I also transplanted my
injection pump and fuel pump. I did not originally
swap my fuel nozzles to the newer engine. When I
first fired it up I had white smoke from the left
exhaust pipe (true dual exhaust). I figured that I
had a stuck or squirting nozzle so I added some fuel
conditioner/nozzle cleaner for diesel that I have used
before in other diesel applications. No joy, and
still white smoke after about a total of one hour of
running and a 5 mile trip to town for more fuel. I
next changed the nozzles on the left side to the
nozzles that I was using in the old engine since they
did not smoke and "just knowing" that this would fix
the problem. Not only no joy but a few tears now too.
 The same odorless white smoke that appears to be
fuel. The smoke is not oil or it would be blue-gray
and is not black from overly-rich fuel and it is not
steam since I know what that looks like from the other
engine.
I pulled off the water pump last night because I
thought that perhaps the injection pump drive gear
could be one tooth off but it was as it should be and
the pin in the injection pump drive flange is in the
slot and not the round hole per the TM and the civy
Chevy manual. Perhaps it is coincidence that the
injection pump is starting to have problems too but I
don't think so.
Tonight I plan to transplant the injection pump that
was originally installed on the engine when I
purchased it about three weeks ago. I know about
having to swap the cover and a bracket over for the
CUCV usage.
Since I have no leaks at the nozzles and I have
installed "known good" nozzles on the left side I am
starting to fly into unknown skies under IFR
conditions.
I'm appealing to the former and current mechanics for
6.2 diesels for the vast library of knowledge in your
years of experience. I'm a stupid helicopter mechanic
and I'm starting to flounder. If the pump is not the
problem then could it be a pre-chamber or two in the
left head? I only pulled the valve covers the first
time to install new top-quality gaskets. I have not
pulled the heads to date. I do have some freshly
overhauled heads and new gaskets for this operation if
needed but I will have to locate new bolts if the
patient does require further surgery. The head bolts
are torque-to-yield so they can only be used once.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Jim in Louisiana <jimm1009@yahoo.com>