update from the CUCV 6.2 diesel that was smoking

From: Jim Zehr (jimm1009@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 12:08:32 PST

I filled the radiator and the engine with water this
AM,installed the new thermostat, and let the engine
run
for 30 minutes with out driving it. I ran it at
various RPMs and idled in between. I let the engine
cool for an hour (not overheated, just time for quick
lunch).
I was able to purchase a new compression test tool
from NAPA today. The left cylinders are #1, #3, #5, &
#7.
The right side is #2, 4, 6, & 8.
Compression test done on #1 twice to make sure. #1 390
& 385, #3 450, #5 440, & #7 400. #2 450, #4 440, #6
435, & #8 430. This was with fully charged batteries
and all glow plugs removed, and 11 to 13 puffs per
cylinder (with the wife rolling her eyes the whole
time)(she was the key twister).
The military standards are 380 to 400 being the low
end.
Chevy's standards are 300 being the low end. Both
books say the low cylinder (per side) should not be
less than 80% of the highest cylinder. 80% of 450
(#3) is 360psi which is means my weakest cylinder is
25 psi or so to the better.
I did find that the low pressure fuel return line on
#3 is leaking so I will fix that problem. It seems
that I did not have the little clamp properly
positioned although this has nothing to do with my
smoking problem. I did have a few small bubbles in
the water at first but I beleive that that was from
having freshly filled the engine with water. The cap
was installed and there was no pressure or vacuum
after the 30 or so minutes of running.
The smoke is still there on the left side only and has
no odor and is not steam. Perhaps a sluggish lifter
or slightly burned exhaust valve. I have two freshly
overhauled and pressure tested heads but don't want to
do that yet since I don't have the new head bolts
($120) at this time although I did purchase an
overhaul gasket kit to begin the project.
Any ideas would be most welcome. Time for a big
glass of iced-tea now!
Jim in Louisiana