Re: M1009 CUCV problem

From: Chance Wolf (bigbadwolf@telus.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 09:02:21 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Nichols" <
armytrucks@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 8:26 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] M1009 CUCV problem

> OK, so here's a question related to this failure:

> Given the possibility of this happening, would it be wise or at least
> make sense to put some sort of fusable link inline between the starter
> and the battery? Seems like it would be cheap insurance if something
> like that happened.

> Armchair CUCV electrical engineers what say you?

That relay's welded itself closed twice on my own M1009; failed open once on
my M1009, and welded itself closed on one or two of the ones at work. Also
had one GSA truck declared surplus to requirements because "the starter was
stuck" which also proved to be that $%&*#@ relay. Always the relay. As has
been discussed on the list before, the early ones evidently failed like that
and were replaced by the same type but upgraded in some fashion or other.
I've disassembled the failed ones to see what went south and thought them
very, very underbuilt for the job they're doing, hence the arcing and
eventual arc-welding together. I just installed a ridiculously overbuilt
generic relay (glow plug or starter - forget which) in my own truck and
mounted it under the dashboard to have done with the whole problem.

I was thinking of hooking up a manual disconnect either at the input or
output side of the relay 'just in case' it ever happens again. Last time
around I was in the McD's drive-thru and had shut the engine off so I could
here the Charlie Brown Teacher voice come through the drive-thru speaker,
and when I went to restart, the relay jammed on and the engine caught at the
same time. I just idled it off into their parking-lot and disconnected the
battery. Unfortunately that smoked either a fusible link or one of the
alternators (forget which) in the bargain, though the starter itself lived
on to start another day.

(The Fire Dept. guy we got the GSA truck off of was just amazed when we went
straight for the relay, yanked it, then started the truck right up using a
jumper wire I keep around for the purpose! Something like two minutes flat.
Ah well, they can always go draw another one from Dr. MO whenever they want,
I suppose, so no skin off their noses.)