Re: Dayton style - cast center wheels/hubs - centering

From: djslager@mail.icongrp.com
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 13:53:48 PST

Dave.........Thank you............... Having run Dayton hubs and rims they
are sometimes a pain in the a$$...First make sure rim and spacer edges are
clean. Make sure spacer is not bent at all. Then you put the rims and spacer
on, insert clamps and nuts. Start tightening in a" Y " formation with 2 of
the lugs on the top at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, that leaves the one
of the y at the 6 o'clock. Tighten nuts equally going around many times. If
you place a block of wood on the floor after you have 3 of them tightened
turn the hub to see the same clearance between tire and rim and block. Sort
of like dial indicating a bell housing to an engine. or a shaft in a lathe.
If while turning the hub you see that it isn't equal- pop it loose and try
again. Once you get it trued using the block you can run the other 2 or 3
tight depending on weather you have a 6 nut hub or a 5 nut hub. I have found
an impact takes them off easy but if you try using an impact putting them
on, you can get them out of true quickly. They always say- not to oil or
lube hub nuts but if you do you can get them with just a 3/4 inch drive
ratchet wrench.Sometimes doing it this way they are pretty true. If you run
them not being true you will get tire wear from being not true. If you have
any questions give me a call evening we can talk. 219-374-5976 Hope this
helps. Doug Slager
p.s. Dayton hubs I believe are still a good invention.