smoking 6.2 update

From: Jim Zehr (jimm1009@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 17:17:18 PST

Today I drove the truck to work and back, about 35
miles total.
I noticed a futtering sound at the top of each RPM
level just before the tranmission shifts and constant
in third gear above 55 MPH.
It sounds like a card stuck in the spokes of a bike
like we did when we were kids. Not really loud but
there none the less.
I'm thinking that it could be valve flutter from a
sluggish lifter even though I did have good
compression numbers. And no smoke except on intial
startup when cold! Yea!!
I'm not a big fan of oil additives in diesels but
perhaps there is something to be done here. I'm
worried about driving this thing too much and causing
damage to the rockers or valvetrain. Am I being too
cautious?

Jim