Re: Was Alvin York, Now M-247 Sgt. York DIVAD

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2006 - 07:36:51 PST

On Mar 23, 2006, at 10:24 AM, dv8ed@comcast.net wrote:

> Anybody know what the real
> story is on these things?

A guy I used to know was one of the programmers on the targeting system
of the SGT York. He explained to me one day, in great technical
detail, why the system didn't work. Most of it went over my head at
the time and now 12 years later I don't remember the rest. Short of it
was they ran up against some technical problems and the
hardware/software of the day was incapable of working around them. The
system was just too complicated for the tools available at the time.

For those of you who want to see one in person, there were about a half
dozen of them at Redstone Arsenal in Alabama when I was down there a
few years ago. What are they doing there? Waiting to be used for
target practice, that's what. And at a cost of $134,000,000 per
vehicle, I sure hope the guys shooting at them appreciate how many
taxpayer's dollars "died" to make those targets possible.

More info from Global Security's website:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m247.htm

Steve