Re: Charge a battery? Plant a tree

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 10:32:50 PST

Some big companies - actually most big companies, actually strategize to
create patents of things that they will never use to protect certain
areas of technology. Just because it is patented does not mean that it
has any useful practical purpose. But at the same time it may be useful
to keep competitors away from some certain areas of technology.

When I worked for Texas Instruments, they had teams of lawyers and all
they did was to pursue patents for various reasons. I had to sign my
life away when it came to ideas with that company. They even ran us
through patent seminars every year or so. TI has a very large number of
patents. As I recall I think the registered about 1000/year or so.

Dave