Re: Charge a battery? Plant a tree

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 11:00:47 PST

Years ago my Brother-in-laws father was an auto parts designer in
Detroit. Some time before I met him he had started to do some
experiementing on motion-perpetual motion that is. He was convinced
that he had created a perpetual motion machine. He even patented it.
Everynight he worked on various versions of these machines. They
required a battery to get them going and after that they were suppose to
self generate power. Unfortunately after about an hour or so they would
run out of juice - I was an engineering student at the time and I tried
to explain to him that what he was doing was impossible. I could not
convince him. Regardless, he was able to get a patent for his design.
He dumped a ton of money into the project trying to sell his invention
but it would not sell and he ended up dying with bone cancer a few years
later. He left his wife with almost nothing due to the money he spent
on the "invention". A rather sad story of chasing an impossible dream
and illustrating the stupidity involved in some of the legitimate patents.