Re: Pinzgauer vs Unimog

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 19:52:50 PST

> My decision on a military vehicle is between a
> Pinzgauer 710 and a Unimog. Are there any pros or
> cons to consider in the choice?

Hehe... might as well ask folks which religion you should choose...
Christianity or Islam :-)

Seriously though, be aware that you will come upon many people that
have absolutely no intention of being fair to both vehicles, just the
one they personally are in love with. Both are excellent vehicles,
both have drawbacks. As the owner of a 710M Pinzgauer and, as of
Sunday, a 406 Unimog here is what I have to advise.

You first need to ask yourself some basic questions, not only to settle
on a Pinz or a Mog but also to choose which model within each family is
right for you. Without thinking about these you will risk buying the
wrong vehicle and regretting it. Here are some basic questions:

1. Do you intend on using this as a daily driver?
2. Do you want to do hardcore (and I mean HARDCORE) offroading?
3. How important is replacement part costs to you?
4. Do you want a gas or diesel engine?
5. How important is fuel economy to you?
6. Do you want all sorts of attachments, like winches, snow plows, etc?
7. How old is "too old" for you in terms of vehicle age?
8. What kind of topography do you have in the area you want to drive
around in?
9. Do you think it likely that you will want to drive around with more
than 1 passenger?
10. How important is a hardcab?
11. Where do you plan on storing the vehicle? Specifically, how high
is your roof clearance?

There are lots of other questions like this, but I think these are the
major ones.

Steve