Re: CUCV Fuel Pump

From: Chance Wolf (bigbadwolf@telus.net)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2006 - 15:29:12 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Brunner" <cjbrunner@optonline.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 3:00 PM
Subject: [MV] CUCV Fuel Pump

> I am working on a new filter/tank design for my M1028 and in doing so
> have needed to move the fuel filter. I was planning on installing an
> electric pump and wanted to know if i needed to remove the mechanical
> pump from the system (I assume I do) and if there are any commercial
> block of plates to cover the hole in the engine - or do I need to make
> my own.

GM dealers sell a blanking plate and gasket to cover the hole where the
mechanical fuel pump normally mounts. Pretty sure the later civilian trucks
with the 6.2 came with electric fuel pumps and would've had the blanking
plate installed from the factory, so you might want to suggest that to the
GM parts guy when you begin your search for the part.

I've left the fuel pump mounted on a couple of vehicles I have at work and
just let them pump on their merry way with nothing but air to pump.
Depending on who you talk to that's supposed to be a bad idea because dry
pump operation is supposed to cause greater wear on the camshaft lobe which
operates the pump, which may cause a problem down the road if you want to go
back to a manual pump and the worn cam lobe doesn't give you as efficient
pump action. So goes the theory. I'm just parrotting what I remember
reading.

I think fellow list-member Julian (surname escapes me) had the part number
for the blanking plate posted at some point so maybe he'll jump in with it.
Good luck.