Answers to HAM Classes & Military Event Coming Up!!!!

From: Ed (mojoedd@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 11:36:18 PST

Saturday April 29th 2006 from 0900 until at least 1600, no matter what the
weather is, American Legion Post 109 located in Gaffney South Carolina will

host our second annual VETERANS APPRECIATION DAY! Our first one last year
was a very good event despite the horrible weather. We appreciate each and

every visitor and a huge vote of thanks to all who participated!!!! This
year the event will be even bigger with a lot more clubs and military units

with uniforms, equipment, military vehicles and radio equipment there.
There will also be food and beverage vendors so you won't even have to leave

to get something to eat or drink. A HUGE vote of thanks to the Members of
American Legion Post 109 for all their hard work and time to make this event

happen! The Committee for this event has been working 24/7 to make sure
that all is right and that all are welcomed and have as much fun as
possible.

Our Cherokee County ARES Group, (CARES), will be on hand for this event.
Everyone needs to know that they have programs that are teaching classes to
anyone that cares to learn how to get a Technician License for HAM radio's
entry level class. Our President, Lee Marion, W8CGQ, with the help of some
of our hard working members, have done one heck of a lot of teaching to a
lot of school kids and Junior Firemen. It's a great program and we try our

very best to get as many people as possible interested in HAM radio.

CARES will have both a table set up with radios for people to transmit on
and HAMs moving around displaying how hand held radios work. We will also,
hopefully, be using borrowed PRC-77s and a couple of SINCGARS units to show
the large differences in Vietnam radio gear with modern day equipment. The
radio gear will be courtesy of our local National Guard Unit if our Post
Adjutant, James "Smitty" Smith can work his magic with them. A fellow
member of the Legion Post, Rich Horner and I will be in our Post's real
Vietnam Veteran Huey Helicopter showing how Helicopters and ground units
talked. We will both be in flight uniforms with helmets, gloves and
survival gear. Inside the Huey we will have a full display of real Vietnam

equipment with uniforms and weapons of the day. Inside our museum there is
even more Vietnam era gear and photos for you to see. We have the official
history of our Huey with the documentation showing where she was hit several
times with enemy ground fire. You can go right to these areas and you can
see the repairs that were made to her!

Members from the Antioch Volunteer Fire/Rescue Department will have a truck
and some tables set up with Firefighting gear and how it's used and been
improved over the years.

Smitty is working VERY hard to get our local Army National Guard Unit to
have a display or more from them if at all possible.

We have invited our County 911 Dispatchers, our Emergency Operations Center
and HAZMAT team to have a display along with the Police and Sheriff's
Departments. These items are still in work at this time, I will advise when

new developments arise.

We are also hoping to have some ROTC personnel in uniform, some Scout Groups
and other clubs and personnel that are interested in our nations Veterans
and what we had to do to get the job done over the years. It will also show
how much things have changed from the Revolution to today. It is most
interesting, you won't be disappointed!

Of course there will be tons of weapons, radios, gear, uniforms, photographs
and reenactors from the Revolutionary War, Civil War, Vietnam and hopefully
World Wars I & II, Korea. At this time we aren't positive about any war
after Vietnam being show cased but we are trying! There will be a lot of
food and fun. It's a great event so if you have a chance please join us!
0900 until 1600 or later, Saturday April 29th, 2006...........

Best Regards,

Ed

"The consolidation of the States into one vast empire, sure to be
aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain
precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it."