Unimog insurance problems (Maine)

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 02:24:50 PST

Hi all,

I recently bought a 406 Unimog and was surprised to find out that
insuring it is apparently a big problem in Maine. I've been quoted
$1300 and can't seem to find anything less than that. Just so you can
get a feel of my shock, that is more than I pay for my Pinzgauer, 97
1/2 GMC pickup, and 97 Subaru COMBINED. The problem appears to be that
no normal underwriter wants to touch it, so I have to go to the
insurance equivalent of a loan shark. I don't understand :-( Can
anybody give me any advice?

Another shocker is the need for a CDL. I know about a dozen reasons
for needing a CDL, but air assisted brakes was not one of them. Just
another headache to get settled before I can fully enjoy driving 45mph
8' off the ground :-)

Steve