Enigma machine

From: Everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 05:25:28 PST

As late as 1959 -60 these machines were still very "hush-hush".

 I was stationed at a U S Army post that had been set up during WWII because
of the value of these machines - this was a small post, A few signal
companies, some security companies, very large MP company, small Navy
contingent, small Air Force presence, big WAC company, few hundred
civilians - we all wore badges with our photos on them, badge had color
border denoting what building wearer could enter. --MPs even had bullets in
their weapons.

Security was very tight - all GIs in our company on post had
top-secret-crypto. clearance.

Lots of "brass-hats"..

Random, frequent vehicle checks, everyone out, open hood, trunk, glove box.
Not unusual for "foot-traffic" to be stopped by MPs and have to show ID, not
to "hassle", they would compare military ID to badge you wore, and woe be to
person that would put on jacket and forget to put badge on outside...

Mess hall served 4 meals per day - midnight was cold cuts, or breakfast.

Everette

-----